Monday, April 23, 2007

What's an Eco-Tourist?


Not a great picture but whoa Trigger, is that an eco-tourist in my front yard? Wow, brand new SUV import, two surf boards, mama with a $2,000 camera, and poppy with an equally expensive pair of Zeiss binoculars. Yup, them's eco-tourists looking at all the Indigo Buntings, Baltimore Orioles, and cool warblers we've had down here lately on the spring migration.

Some folks think that Islanders, Spring Beakers, and ordinary folks can be eco-tourists even if they party of the beach. What a crock! I'm not an eco-tourist, I live here for cripe's sake.

If you are puzzled because this is sounding strange, well it is election season on South Padre Island, meaning that all kinds of people are making outlandish claims, although free icy cold beer in my faucets hasn't come through as yet.

I won't go further - well except if I hear some hillarious stories from the developers - but the reason the eco-tourists come down my road is because there are five or six wild lots that have not been developed yet, and three more just on the north. The birds, bees, and butterflies are the best next to the Convention Center. Sadly, one day it will all be gone.

But don't pull me leg about what an eco-tourist is.

No comments: