Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Choppin' With My Ax

Well here's a story that might be SPI relevant in a few months, Sammie playing guitar in some joints. I've been practicing the ole guitar-box for sure. All I need is a pickup and an amp with a good high-pass filter because plastic strings make too "twapping" sound.

Then I "plays de boogie."

I ONLY play the blues if I'm feeling really funny and farcical. Nope, the boogies is pretty fast stuff, sometimes with a slide and sometimes deliberately out of key - it is the Merinque of late-1940's and early 1950's boogie and Swing music. I'm going to see if any of those Bongo Dogs are interested because I just love a fast boogie. Hey, if you like Reggae with the back-beat I can still boogie that. What, you want to Punk it up?

Only problem is, the Lord don't let me sing.

I mean I can and will, but like Leo Kottke (major machine-gun guitar player) said "my voice is like geese farts on a hot muggy day." So I guess I'm trolling for a "girl with lots of sax" or starting with the Island talent. You know, South Texas up to San Antonio was once known as a major blues and boogie area, but all that died out in the 1970's.

I think people might like it The boogies (Bugle Boy of Company B) won WWII and lasted until rock but then even stranger and eerie boogies came from the re-discovery of black music. Voodoo Chile by Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn are leading examples. Wish I was that good, dern it!

If it doesn't raise hairs on the back of your neck, well it probably not worth the effort. It is to me, just maybe, if I come out of my shell.

No comments: