Monday, November 07, 2005

Sam's Non-Magic Shrooms


So I was walking Sheff the dog and I noticed something was growing under “Pinkie” the plumeria, right in our front yard. They looked ominous and evil. So I went upstairs and used Google to see what on Earth these things might be. Well, there were thousands of hits for magic mushrooms! So my immediate reaction was to run out there and tear them up before a hundred hippies came on over for lunch. Yikes!

After a while I found that these were really the common yellow houseplant mushroom, ‘Leucocoprinus birnbaumii.’ Apparently they thrive in potted plants with super-rich soil and warm humid temperatures. Sorry folks, they’re no good for eating or a good buzz. Fortunately they won’t hurt Pinkie. Cute little devils though, aren’t they?

No comments: